Report: Bulawayo City in semis as Shabanie, CAPS game is abandoned

thumb image

There was drama at Maglas Stadium when the match between Shabanie Mine and CAPS United was abandoned before the final whistle after the far side assistant referee was hit by a flying missile and got injured on the eye.

The game which was filled with excitement, was called off just over the hour mark when CAPS United supporters started raining missiles in protest of a disallowed goal which was judged to have been scored from an offside position.

Shabanie had went into the lead on the  43rd minute through William Mapfumo who scored a brilliant header from a corner kick. With the clock ticking away from the 60th minute mark, John Zhuwawo equalised but the assistant referee waved for an offside prompting the CAPS’ supporters to start throwing missiles in anger.

The match was called off on the 65th minute mark with the scoreline standing at 1-0 in favour of Shabanie Mine.

Meanwhile, Bulawayo City dumped Yadah out of the tournament in a 1-0 victory at Barbourfields Stadium.

Ishmael Wadi’s goal in the 84th minute was what Amakhosi needed to progress to the semi finals of the Chibuku Super Cup.

City settled in the game early and had a goal disallowed in the 10th minute after Mkhululi Moyo was adjudged to have been in an offside position. The play soon balanced with the ball swinging from one end to another but no clear chances were created.

The game went in to half time on deadlock.

The second half action resumed with neither side willing to attack but it was Amakhosi who had a chance on the hour mark but Rainsome Pavari’s shot went straight to the goalkeeper’s hands. However they soon found the back of the net when Wadi dribbled his way to the goal with six minutes to full time.

Yadah responded quickly but goalkeeper Ndodana Sibanda made a great save moments later.

The match ended with the scoreline remaining unchanged.

Chibuku Super Cup Results:

Sunday 08 October
Bulawayo City 1-0 Yadah
Shabanie Mine 1-0 CAPS United (Match abandoned in the 65th minute)