ZIFA and the Spanish La Liga have sealed a landmark deal which is set to transform the fortunes of talented Zimbabwean footballers and afford them direct access to the professional European game.
The local football association president Philip Chiyangwa flew into Johannesburg on Thursday to complete the deal with La Liga director for Africa Antonino Barradas. He was in the company of ZIFA board member finance Philip Machana.
Chiyangwa had first met Barradas nine months ago.
The two parties signed a Memorandum of Understanding that cemented their commitment to work together.
According to The Herald, ZIFA and La Liga agreed on the following:
– Training of the trainer projects programmes through La Liga certified and qualified trainers/coaches targeting mainly grassroots coaches in schools, colleges and communities.
– Donation of La Liga Passtheball balls to Zimbabwe
– Provide exposure to talented Zimbabwean footballers in La Liga,
– Promote enthusiasm in football as well as sports tourism through periodic bringing into Zimbabwe of La Liga ambassadors/ legends,
– Organise football tours for Zimbabwean teams to Spain as well as La Liga teams to Zimbabwe
They also agreed to an initial three-year deal that will also encompass government in the programme.