Malawi’s attempts to have the Afcon Group L Day 3 qualifier against Guinea relocated because of new cases of Ebola has been turned down by CAF and the World Health Organisation (WHO).
The Football Association of Malawi had asked for a relocation of the match in the wake of the confirmation of two new cases of Ebola in Guinea.
However, following an exchange of correspondences on the subject between the CAF secretariat and the World Health Organisation (WHO), the latter said the new cases were discovered in the Guinean forestière region of Nzérékoré, adding there is no travel ban imposed on Guinea by the organisation, thus posing no threat on the hosting of a football match in Conakry.
Friday’s game will be Guinea’s first international at home since August 2014. In between, they were forced to host their games in Casablanca, Morocco.
The world’s worst recorded Ebola epidemic is believed to have started in Guinea and killed about 2,500 people by December last year, at which point the World Health Organization (WHO) said the virus was no longer being actively transmitted.
More than 11,300 people have died since the outbreak began in 2013, mostly in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, chat with us using the chat feature at the bottom right of this screen