Report: Chapungu dumps FC Platinum out of Super Cup as Chicken Inn walks off the pitch in protest

thumb image

FC Platinum are out of the Chibuku Super Cup after they succumbed to a 1-0 defeat in the hands of Chapungu.

Brighton Mugoni’s goal from the spot was the decider at the end of the game.

Pure Platinum Play created a many chances but they failed to convert one. Their first attack came in the 11th minute but Takesure Chinyama’s first touch was too heavy and he failed to finish it off.

They made another attempt in the 40th minute but Chapungu goalkeeper punched it out for corner.

The teams went to half time with no goals scored but it was the home team who were better in the first half.

The second period of the game resumed with the ball swinging from one end to another.

However it was FC Platinum who got a chance to break the deadlock in 52nd minute when Rodwell Chinyengetere earned them a penalty after he was fouled in the box. Winston Mhango took it but he sent it over the ball.

It was not going to be long when Chapungu went in to the lead. Gift Bello handled the ball in the box and Mugoni converted the penalty just over the hour mark.

Nothing changed at end of full time and Chapungu broke the long standing jinx by knocking out FC Platinum in the first round of the tournament.

Elsewhere, Black Rhinos booked their place in the second round after beating Triangle United 2-1 at Rufaro Stadium.

The Sugar Sugar Boys went in to the lead as early as in the fourth minute after Russel Madamombe headed home a cross from Derwin Phiri. Lot Chiwunga cancelled out the the lead in the 18th minute when he shot from a close range. However Chauya Chipembere scored their second goal in the late stages of the game to progress to the next round.

The match between Yadah and Chicken Inn was abandoned in the last minutes of the game after Chicken Inn players left the field in protest over a decision by the referee to award a penalty to Yadah.

The players felt the decision was too hash and they protested for a long period, prompting the referee to call off the match before full time.

The scoreline was 0-0

Chibuku Super Cup First Round Results:

Saturday 23 September

FC Platinum 0-1 Chapungu
Black Rhinos 2-1 Triangle United
*Chicken Inn 0-0 Yadah