West Ham have suspended director of player recruitment Tony Henry over claims he said the club would not sign any more African players.
The Daily Mail reported that Henry said African players “cause mayhem” when they are not in the team.
The club announced on Thursday that Henry had been suspended while an investigation takes place.
“The club can confirm that director of player recruitment Tony Henry has been suspended pending a full and thorough investigation,” West Ham said in a statement.
“West Ham United will not tolerate any type of discrimination and has, therefore, acted swiftly due to the serious nature of these claims.
“The West Ham United family is an inclusive one where, regardless of gender, age, ability, race, religion or sexual orientation, everybody feels welcome and included.”
Meanwhile, the Professional Footballers’ Assocaition said it was “shocked” by the reported comments and encouraged by West Ham’s response.
“The PFA strongly condemn any such views and there is no place for them in football,” it said.
West Ham have six first-team squad members of African descent: Cheikhou Kouyate, Pedro Obiang, Joao Mario, Angelo Ogbonna, Arthur Masuaku and Edimilson Fernandes.
Senegal striker Diafra Sakho left the club in the January transfer window to join Rennes, with Ghana international Andre Ayew heading to Swansea.