Former ZIFA president Trevor Carelse-Juul has ruled himself out of the association’s elections set for later this year.
In an interview with The Standard Sport, the South Africa-based businessman said he is not interested in running for ZIFA presidency but is in full support of the need for change at the helm of the local football mother body.
“I’ve made it clear previously and continue to make it clear that I’m not interested at all in standing for the Zifa presidency, but I want to see things go right,” he said.
“Do we believe people must challenge this group? Yes, absolutely, and we hope that a good group will come forward. Someone has to stand up, and I can assure you, it’s not me. I’m not interested, but I’m interested in seeing the correct process take place.”
Carelse-Juul was part of a group of former Zifa presidents who were accused of attempting to seize control of the association after successfully lobbying Fifa to order fresh elections to be held this year.
The group which also included Vincent Pamire, Rafik Khan, Cuthbert Dube and Leo Mugabe wrote to Fifa secretary-general Fatma Samoura last month arguing that the Philip Chiyangwa-led executive’s term of office had expired on March 29.
The current executive is short of the required quorum following the resignation of two executive members Felton Kamambo and Piraishe Mabhena on March 29, and according to the ZIFA constitution, new leadership should be elected into office as soon possible.